Saturday, March 27, 2010

Pick up this Penguin

Last week I linked to the artwork for the forthcoming US paperback of Free Agent from Penguin. Eagle-eyed reader 'Liam Devlin' spotted that the gun in that image was a modern Beretta, rather than the Cold War-era Tokarev featured in the novel (and on the UK hardback). This is something that was changed in the final version, but I couldn't figure out a way to get my PDF of it on here. Never mind - I found it over at the funky blog Book Covers Anonymous. You may spot a couple of other tiny things that have been changed from the previous version. The design is by the London-based designer Jonathan Gray, who works under the name Gray318, and has designed many fantastic book jackets. Here's what he came up with for mine - what do you think? I couldn't be more pleased, but perhaps I'm biased! Click the image to enlarge it.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comments, Josh and Jason - I think they really hit the nail on the head with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and 'heyday' is spelled correctly in the final version!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the last one to add to the collection for me. I just ordered the U.S. Hardback, the deal was to good to pass up on!

    This is a fantastic cover for the U.S. paperback. It reminds me of the retro feeling from the UK Hardcover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Nicholas! And I agree, it does have something of the same feel as the British hardback.

    ReplyDelete